How to walk away
What is gambling? Gambling is risking something of value in a game of chance.
Examples of gambling: Lotteries, casinos, playing cards for money, slot machines, Video Lottery Terminals (VLT), Bingo, Sports betting, Internet gambling.
When is gambling a problem?
- When gambling affects your relationship with family and friends
- When it causes you problems at work or school
- When it causes money problems
- When it makes you physically and mentally ill
What are the signs of problem gambling?
- Having financial problems or arguments about money
- Gambling until you win or spend all your money
- Gambling more than your planned or intended to
- Lying about your losses
- Feeling guilty about your gambling
- Being criticized about your gambling
- Being sure that past losses can be won back
- “Chasing losses” – feeling the need to gamble again to win back losses
- Gambling to escape your problems
- Promising to stop and then gambling again
- Neglecting your family, work or school in order to gamble
Remember that help is available for the gambler and or their family
Gambling makes you physically and mentally ill. Illustration: © Megan Jorgensen